Monday, July 12, 2010

A trip to the mall

OUTSIDE THE MALL:

Paying the tuk-tuk driver.




Lottery tickets.




Remember the sausage balls on sticks I mentioned? Here they are in all their glory. Plus some hot dogs and unidentifiable foods for good measure.



INSIDE THE MALL:


Finally found a place to stock up on souvenirs for family and friends.



Mister Donut, KFC, McDonald's. Mini America. Sort of. Wait for it.....



The menu. Doesn't look too strange...



Upon further inspection we find the tuna pie. And then I puked.




No, this isn't all Scott's food. But that is his daddy-Coke next to my baby-Coke.




I haven't eaten a McDonald's hamburger in about 6 years (not because I boycott McD's, I just think they taste awful), but I would've eaten 2 of these Macs.



This is what condiments come in. Definitely not big enough for all the ketchup I'd need.





The dreaded Lotus (A.K.A. The Walmart of my twisted Asian nightmares). Slowest checkers EVER. At least 8 people in every line. Waiting time before you can escape with your goods...at least 15 minutes. Scott had a headache so he waited on a bench just outside the store (the store is inside the mall) while I paid for our things. It took so long that he came searching for me with a serious look of fear on his face. Apparently he thought I'd been kidnapped or had gotten lost when I didn't show after 20 minutes. He found me STILL standing in line with one more person ahead of me.






Anyone know what "-30% Slim" means?




I did not come to Thailand prepared for the sad (and strange) selection of baby food.




The inside of Lotus looks like most large chain stores in America. And then you stumble upon the meat department and it's all downhill from there. My camera battery died, otherwise I would have shot more photos of bizarre Thai food.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Just finished my dinner, then I saw tuna pies. I feel sick.

There are so many amazing things in that store. I wish your camera had not died before you got to the meat section. Sad.

ms said...

I am always amazed and disgusted when I see any meat departments from that side of the world. When I was pregnant and I'd go into the Super China market in Sandy, I would have to plug my nose (embarrassing, I know) when I walked next to the meats.

On a less gross note, it looks like you are having a great time and that Jonesy is surviving the heat and staying happy. I wish you got to come see us along your way home so that we could hear all about it.