Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Word of the day

Main Entry: max·im

Pronunciation: \ˈmak-səm\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English maxime, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin maxima, from Latin, feminine of maximus, superl. of magnus large — more at
much
Date: 1567


1 : a general truth, fundamental principle, or rule of conduct
2 : a proverbial saying

Whitney's suggested use: "That lady on the bus clearly holds all extra terrestrial messages as a maxim, even a replacement for religion, wouldn't you say?"

2 comments:

The Cheshire Five!! said...

You forgot:

3. Popular men's magazine with clantily clad girls in it.

I will come up with a comment for your other post while at work.

garritandshea said...

I think I was actually forgetting how entertaining you could be. How dull life was before I found your blog...and Spencer's. Yep, I'm almost 6 months pregnant! What? That's right. Completely crazy. I'm starting to become excited and prepared I guess. So, come January, I'll have a little tag-along for life I guess. Oh yeah, it's a girl. Very fun.